Whether or not you’re buying and selling in your outdated iPhone for a reduction on a brand new one, promoting it, giving it away, or recycling it, you’re going to wish to erase your entire knowledge first. Not solely do you wish to preserve private data from falling into the fallacious palms, however let’s face it: no one’s going to desire a telephone together with your outdated selfies on it.
After you’ve transferred your entire knowledge to a brand new telephone (or, in the event you’re not getting a brand new telephone, backed your knowledge up), right here’s easy methods to wipe your iPhone:
Eliminate a number of identifiable options
- Disable “Discover My iPhone” by going to “Settings” > “Discover My” > “Discover My Cellphone” and toggling “Discover My Cellphone” and “Discover My Community” to off.
- Unpair any units out of your telephone, together with your Apple Watch.
- Toggle iMessages off (simply in case).
Signal out of your Apple ID
- Choose “Settings” > [your name] prime button > “Signal Out” (on the backside of the web page).
- Enter your Apple ID password.
- You’ll be requested if you wish to make a copy of your knowledge on this iPhone. Assuming you’ve backed the whole lot up and are about to wipe your telephone, you don’t must toggle something on.
- Faucet on “Signal Out” within the upper-right nook after which once more on the “Are you positive?” pop-up window.
Get able to erase it
- Take away the SIM card from the telephone.
- Go into “Settings” > “Normal” > “Switch or Reset iPhone” and choose “Erase All Content material and Settings.”
Replace September fifteenth, 2021, 3PM ET: This text was initially printed on April thirteenth, 2020, and has been up to date so as to add extra data and account for modifications within the OS.